Tuesday 4 June 2013

Exercise on Present Perfect and Past Simple

تمرين على المضارع التام والماضي البسيط

Put the verb into the correct form, present perfect or past simple:
  1. The office is empty now. Everybody _________ (go) home.
  2. They _______ (clean) the car. It looks new again.
  3. I did German at school, but I ________ (forget) most of it now.  
  4. I ______ (meet) my friend two days ago.
  5. I __________ (eat) my lunch yet.
  6.  He ________(already / send) the letter.
  7. They haven’t seen each other since they _______ (be) at college.
  8. She _______ (buy) a new car in 2010.
  9. __________ you (ever / play) tennis?
  10. Last year, we ______ (go) to Italy.


Check answers:
  1. went
  2.  have cleaned
  3. have forgotten
  4.  met
  5.  haven’t eaten
  6. has already sent
  7. were
  8.  bought
  9. Have you ever played
  10.  went

5 comments:

  1. The office is empty now. Everybody (go) home
    why "went" and not "has gone"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We understand from the clause (The office is empty) that everybody went home as this action surely took place in the past.

      Delete
  2. I did German at school , but I have forgotten most of it now

    why "have forgotten" not "forgot" ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The action really happened in the past, but there is a connection to the present as I can’t remember most of German now. As a result, it is better to use the present perfect because there is a connection to the present.

      Delete